Monday, April 18, 2005

A piece of beehive

“…a piece of beehive, and it might be the wrong piece, where the bees are buzzing and not hunnying. Bother.” Piglet agreed that it would be rather bothering.
(Winnie-the-Pooh by A.A Milne, p.213)

An excellent summary of last year’s beekeeping at Hob Moor Drive. However, this year seems a bit more promising. It is true the bees are still buzzing and not hunnying YET. But I feel confident that they have now got the idea. I have had a poke around and the colonies are growing fast. When it is time to have a proper look, I will call for an expert to help me.

So far, Queen Latifa II is filling one whole brood box and I put another super box on for the colony to grow into. She is a rather aggressive Queen and I have plans to either kill her off (some of you may remember my failed attempt to do this last year) or exile her to another apiary.

Queen Marguerita’s girls (and a few boys) are a smaller colony, but I hope they will fill a whole brood box by mid-May when the clover and other wild-flowers on the Moor comes into bloom.

On our way to school today, in the pouring rain, Rowan and I had a look at all the flowers people planted in their gardens – there are tulips, magnolia, bluebells, hyacinths and other flowers – that we thought the bees would like. As long as its within 3 miles, anything is possible.

No comments: