Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Freak Zone

The photo is from my walk up to Stoodley Pike last month - back when it was summer, and hot.

Digital radio is something I like a lot. I rarely listen in real time, but use the listen again facility on the laptop. BBC 7 is great for plays and stories, without any news and chat interuptions, and nothing like as gauche and pompous as Radio 4.
6Music is good at some times, there is a great Funk program at weekends and my current favorite is The Freak Zone with Stuart Maconie which is on sunday evenings.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/shows/freakzone/?focuswin

This is a great 3 hours of weird and intersting music, ranges from Magma and the Groundhogs to dub to psychedilic folk to modern classical etc - well worth checking out. The best track I have heard so far was a piece by Stockhausen for string quartet and four helicopters - the credits at the end of the piece included the string players and the helicopter pilots. Check it out

No comments: