Saturday, June 14, 2008

Cricket

Friend Adrian persuaded me to go to Headingley to watch Yorkshire v Notts in the TwentyTwenty cricket thing. It was cold and damp and Yorkshire lost but still pretty good fun. It got me to thinking "when was the last time I watched a cricket match?" The answer 1985, England [Botham, Gatting etc] beating Australia [Thomson, Border etc] at Egbaston. I cycled up from Droitwich and it was a great day. Prior to that it had been England v Pakistan at the World Cup in 1983? at Lords, and England getting tonked by the West Indies in 1976 at Old Trafford.

My father introduced me to Test Cricket at Old Trafford when I was small. I remember an empty stadium, rain, rain and not much cricket. The good things included shaking hands with Basil D'Olivera and watching Bedi in his turban.

I reckon that if I carry on at this rate my next game will be when I am 73 ... Lancashire might have won the county championship by then, but I doubt it.

No comments: