Saturday, March 13, 2010

All England Championships


Edward and I went to Birmingham to watch the All England Badminton championships. It was the first time we had seen pros playing the game - we were hoping to pick up some tips. I first became aware of the championships when I visited a friend in Denmark who was riveted to the TV screen watching them in the 80's. "It's the All England's!" he said, barely being able to turn his eyes from the screen. "What are they?" I asked in genuine ignorance. He could not believe that I did not know. Badminton is very big in Denmark [they are the best non-Asian country] and the All Englands are the Wimbledon of the sport [ie Very old, very prestigious, England don't do very well]

We had a great day, really enjoyed the games, and the train journey was perfect.

The photo is of the revived Brum city centre. It has become, unbelievably, a very pleasant place to be.

No comments: