Saturday, July 02, 2011

Le Tour est Arrivé


The Tour de France starts today. Always an exciting part of the year for me. I remember being at school and reading about Eddy Merckx winning every year with some interest. Then I started reading about it in the early 80s, watching brief snippets on ITV World of Sport; 5 minutes and a week late, and getting hooked. Whenever I could I would get into Soho to buy an Equipe and an espresso and read the in depth coverage in that great French paper. This was complemented by the Mirroir de Cyclisme, a fantastic monthly French magazine now sadly defunct. http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miroir_du_cyclisme
Then in 1985 Channel 4 started to show half an hour every evening. It was fantastic, really opened it up to people to enjoy. When I got Eurosport in 1993 it was heaven. Now we all take if for granted.
I have seen the Tour three times. In Paris in 1993, Brighton in 1994 and London in 2007 [photo]. One day I may see it in the mountains, but for now it is just good to have it back and happening. [Shame Contador is in it though]

No comments: