Thursday, October 13, 2011

London Days


 Most of my work for the past 18 months or so has been in the North. This is great in most repects, but it does mean that I visit London less and so I see London friends less. My usual practice has been to work, then meet up for an evening drink before catching the 8pm train home. This has worked well for the past 13 years. So as not to loose touch with people I decided to use a couple of free return tickets I had to go to London and catch up.
 Walking from town to Muswell Hill via Islington and Crouch End was a great experience, seeing so many places from my time in London. I saw Mark in Exmouth Market for a coffee and came away with the usual bag-ful of books he gives me [he is a publisher]. This time this included a book on the Olympics [popular with Rowan] one on Fonts [both Danielle and I will like that] and a novel written entirely in questions?
Next stop was to see Paul and Coral in Crouch End in their new house, then up to stay with David and Cathy and Jessie in Muswell Hill. Just great to catch up. David runs the Royal Free Hospital – now that is a big job.
 Next day I walked via Ally Pally, Wood Green [where we used to live and I used to work] then past my old house in Tottenham. My neighbour from 16 years ago was in her garden so I had a chat which was great. Then on into the city to see Andy who I have known for 35 years since we met on day one at Liverpool; again great to catch up.
 So all in all quite an emotional couple of days.
The photo is of Lavender Dale in the Wolds, a very shallow dry valley.

No comments: