Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Tipping Point


For six months our old mattress has sat in the garden. Each time I see it I think “I must do something with that ...” But my usual rubbish bloke has disappeared without phone number and I can't bring myself to pay £30 to have it taken away by the Council, and it won't fit in the car. So it has stayed there awhile.

Until yesterday in meeting, when I thought “I could cut it in half”. So I took a saw to it and it fell apart gratefully. I then let it dry in the sun before taking it away in the car.

I never enjoy going to the Council Tip. Never quite sure where to go. Faintly menacing people lurking around. But I could put it off no more, and decided to take the severed mattress and the old TV. I confidently drove up to the barrier and wondered why it did not open for me. Meantime a Council truck had come up right behind me. He gets out the truck and walks towards me. I lower my window “I'm in the wrong place aren't I?”. All smiles as I do a neat 7 point turn and exit for the public tip rather than the professional one I had tried to enter.

Photo is of Rowan atop Sergeant Man in the snow last week.

No comments: