Friday, July 06, 2012

Badminton


When I was 29 friend Chris suggested I play Badminton with a group of people he knew. I was reluctant, never having played properly before. One or two of the group [all from the Tottenham Carribean community] were excellent players but took infinite patience to make everyone feel comfortable playing whatever their standard. It was a lesson in humility that I always try to remember. Eventually I got the hang of the game, I did an evening class in Islington for a couple of years, Chris and I played regularly together, and I set up our own, very informal, group who played one evening a week. This was a great group. All sorts of people passed through it over the years. After playing we would go for a drink and keep abreast of what people were up to. There must have been 20 or 30 people who played at one time, including a couple of EastEnders actors and half of Pepsi & Shirley [of Wham fame].
Chris moved to Rome, we carried on. I moved to York, and the group carried on for four or five years anyway. It may still exist now …
In York I played with a Sunday evening group for a while but found it a bit serious. I really do like to set my own things up, not keen on other people's rules. So Edward and I play singles regularly at the Railway Institute by the station. We have had larger groups of people over the years but the singles is what keeps going. There is something good about playing each week – the sport obviously, but also the chance to talk about things going on in our lives. I did try some coaching a few years ago which was of limited value. Basically we both can have a really good competitive game within our limitations, we are not going to be great club players but we enjoy it.  

No comments: