Tuesday, May 07, 2013

A Ride Too Far

York Quakers are in the process of re-developing part of the Meeting House, to make it more accessible and fit for purpose; the rooms are let out to countless groups during the course of the week.
Danielle is part of the committee charged with raising the money, and is running a sponsored half marathon. We are also looking at the possibility of having a sponsored bike ride. With this in mind I plotted a route connecting the five Quaker meeting houses in the administrative area [3 in York, Thirsk and Harrogate] and rode it on Sunday. It involved some brilliant off-road sections but came in at 130km which is a bit too long for people. We shall have to rethink - great ride though.

On the ride I stopped, as I often do, at the obelisk that marks the Battle of Marston Moor; a poignant place.
I got chatting to a man on a motorbike who was taking part in Round Britain Rally http://www.roundbritainrally.co.uk/ which was something I had never heard of but which sounded fun. A bit like geo-caching on Nortons I think.
Marston Moor

No comments: