Thursday, July 14, 2016

Heritage Ride 2016 - Icknield Way

I walked the Ridgeway long ago, and have always been interested in the ancient trackway that links to it - the Icknield Way that follows the chalk all the way through the Chilterns up to Thetford and the flint mines of Grimes Graves. So when I cycled to Letchworth I managed to include a bridle-way section of the Icknield Way. It was great to find it and to experience the quiet and peace of this timeless route - at least 3000 years old.

It did strike me as odd that in this part of the country people seem so time and money rich, but spend most of both these commodities driving around the roads too fast. Hardly anyone has a moment to step back into the history that wraps itself around the area. I was glad in a way [I had it to myself] but a bit bemused at the same time.

No comments: