Friday, July 14, 2017

Proud Preston

After Warrington came Preston. I cycled from the station to the Tickled Trout at Salmsbury where I stayed ahead of the first session in the morning at County Offices by Preston Station. In these very offices my Mother worked 70 years ago; it was a very strange feeling as I walked into the impressive Victorian interiors of the old Lancashire County Offices. This was from when Lancashire included Furness, Manchester, Liverpool and the rest of the county. Today Lancashire is a tiny forgotten remnant stretched between Merseyside, Great Manchester and Cumbria.

The second session was in Leyland, so I cycled down the old tramway to the town. The once mighty motor works are reduced to a tiny plant producing some trucks. My meeting was in one of the recycled buildings from the old British Leyland works.

Cycling through Avenham Park is always a joy.

No comments: