Monday, July 06, 2020

Woman with Grandfather


From my walk across Europe. I had just come down from the planina summer grazing lands, where I had stayed with some shepherds. Back in the valley a family invited me in for a drink and a chat. The young woman in the photograph had taken the unusual step of having her hair cut short. Her husband was up on the planina for a week and would be returning home later that evening. She was a little anxious about how the change would go down. Her grandfather reassured her; and wanted to be with her for this photograph. In 1984 there were no cameras around in these parts, so I would first ask if I could photograph people. They would almost always assent, and often ask for me to send them a copy when I could. I was more than happy to do this.

No comments: