Tuesday, March 19, 2024

The Stroll Stage 1

On April 2nd 1984 I set off with Marie on The Walk across Europe from Greece to Spain. I hope to go back to a couple of locations from that walk sometime this year.

I have also decided to lower my sight considerably for another long walk. This is The Stroll and the aim is to walk from place to place on routes across Yorkshire, where I now live. The start and finish have to be on the rail network, so that the route can be done without a car. I hope some stages will be with Danielle, and friends. The dog will be on most of the stages. I have no idea if I will keep it going, but that is the plan.

So yesterday was Stage One of The Stroll.


 

Taking the train across the county of local trains reminded me that the Tory government had messed up not just the economy, the health service and pretty much everything, but also the rail network. So I had to deal with a couple of "cancelled" trains. The staff on the trains were universally pleasant and helpful (having a big friendly dog helps) and God chipped in with a beautiful sunny day to start. 

I took the train via a change at Leeds to Littleborough, on the Rochdale canal just to the west of the Pennine watershed as it is crossed by the highest broad canal in the country. I have never seen a canal so full of water, with many of the many locks appearing as if waterfalls. Once over the summit we began in geographical Yorkshire down the wondrous Calder Valley. It is a valley with a unique landscape for the Pennines, the deepest narrowest most dramatic of the routes through the moors. The canal, railway and road are all squeezed into the bottom of the valley, with the brooding bleak moors up above. The industrial architecture from the railway, the canal and the mills, is incredible and awe inspiring. 

We walked to Todmorden (which I last visited when Rowan was performing in a Triathlon here) then got the train back to York. Hope to be back for stage two next week.



No comments: