Tuesday, July 02, 2024

Day 1

So, now the dust has settled from the Lomnice visit and all the contacts I have made with people in the area, I shall catch up on the rest of my trip. I flew from Manchester to Ohrid on a Tui charter flight. To be able to get to the heart of Macedonia without having to change flights, go to the capital Skopje, or leave from London, was a real treat. I had to take advantage of it, as I imagine it might not last long.

The lakes of Ohrid and Prespa were probably my favourite area from my whole walk from Greece to Spain back in 1984. Beautiful, isolated, deep in history, pelicans. So when I arrived in beautiful sunshine to find it even more perfect, I was happy.

This Macedonian Orthodox church of St John was constructed some time before the rise of the Ottoman Empire, probably in the 1200s. 

When I visited in 1984 it was a misty morning, and the whole apparatus of tourism was absent, I took this photo of a gravestone above the lake.

40 years on and the gravestone is still there, everything looks more cared for, but fundamentally little has changed.

No comments: