Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Being Self Employed

I love being employed. It is great being able to give each project your total attention, instead of indulging in the usual juggling act. It is great not having staff to manage, and great not having to waste time and energy on organisational politics.

But there are still things to worry about. You never know whether the work will keep flowing in. Being part time [and having to take two months off in the summer when school is out, to look after Rowan] means that I need flexible clients. And sometimes I have to say “no” to work. This causes anxiety –“Will they ask me again?” - “Will more work come along when I need it?” So far after 6 ½ years so good. I have never had less work than I can manage. Just this week I was starting to begin to think about worrying with a long term commitment about to end. Sure enough a call came out of the blue and things are looking good. One day there will be a gap, but in the meantime I just try not to worry each time another D Day approaches. Simon

No comments: