Friday, December 10, 2004

Computer Spaghetti

Spent all day yesterday sorting out my mother’s new PC [she is an experienced silver surfer of five years standing]. Then spent today refitting three computers in the office at home…have seen enough cables and USBs to last a lifetime. But it all seems to work.

In between the two bowls of spaghetti I was driving back late last night on an “A” road east of Doncaster when I noticed I was all alone. This was strange; I had spent the previous 3 hours of the journey with thousands of fellow travellers for company. Then without warning the road was blocked. Not at a junction, but in the middle of nowhere with a massive barrier across the road. No diversion signs, no explanation, nothing to laugh at at all. Just there deep in the heart of the Doncaster badlands – not a building or a person to be seen. It was so strange; I got out to savour the quiet night. Turning round, it was six miles before I got to the roundabout that should have had a sign on it saying “Road Blocked. Diversion”. There was no sign [due to rural vandals or government cuts, fill in with your own prejudice]. I was soon back with the rest of the world.

No comments: