Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Scary


The other week I was making a routine call to the tax office, and quoted my national insurance number - a number I have quoted a thousand times, and that I have had unchanged for 30 years or more. "No sir, that is not your NI number, that belongs to someone else, I will have to give you a new one". The panic, the fear, all my pension contributions gone to someone else, my identity wiped clean, someone else being me. Of course none of these things were true, after some very sympathetic handling from the tax call centre staff, I worked out that I had somehow mistakenly written down my NI number with 2 digets transposed. It was all my mistake, and was all sorted out. But just for a while the fear of idntity theft loomed large.
The photo is of the river derwent in the wolds, where we walked last weekend.

No comments: