Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Travel


I still get a thrill when I hear the hiss of the steel wheels on the curve of the track as the London express comes into the station at York. This after 10 years of using it to get down to work in the capital. I get a table for four to myself, connect the laptop to the free wi-fi, have a swig of my decaf coffee served by charming Polish girls on the station, then get down to work. It is a very civilized start to the day. The cost is  - unbelieveably - no more than when I started those 10 years ago.

The photo is of the lantern on All Saints church in High Ousegate in York, easily noticed due to its striking octagonal 15th century lantern tower. In the medieval period a lantern was hung from the tower to act as a beacon for travellers in the Forest of Galtres to the north. The church, first mentioned in the Domesday Book, is the burial place of 39 Lord Mayors. Look for the 12th century door knocker depicting the Mouth of Hell. 

No comments: