Thursday, December 31, 2009

First Guitar

The first guitar I owned was an electric when I was 15. I wanted to become Jim Hendrix immediately. I saw no point in learning on an acoustic and playing 'Streets of London', I wanted to cut to the chase and play lead guitar straight away. I had my eye on this Avon SG copy in the record shop in Ulverston, it looked fantastic and, at £34 was in the dream realm of affordability. After endless visits to look at it and wonder I finally bought it one day. Getting it home, plugging it in to the stereo, and ... I didn't sound like Carlos Santana at all. I just sounded louder than someone on an acoustic. But I got over the disappointment and set out to learn to play blues lead guitar from a book. And it worked. I never bothered to learn chords but just to play lead guitar. To this day I find chords a bit of a pain. That's two things I have in common with BB King, he can't play rhythm and he can't sing and play at the same time [something else I struggle to do].


Anyway I grew to love the Avon SG and showed my love by butchering it. I took out one of the humbucker pick-ups and replaced it with a strat type pick-up [trying to have the best of both worlds] then I ended up taping a cut-down fuzz box onto the back of the guitar.

I have no photos of the guitar but found a few photos on line of the same guitar, usually accompanied by words like "My old uncle has this guitar. Anyone know anything about them?"

No comments: