Friday, February 24, 2012

Holderness

I was determined to get a good bike ride in today, and I did. A tiny bit of drizzle, but otherwise a lovely day with the sun coming out towards the end.
I headed up into the Wolds then headed across the River Hull floodplains to see John and Katy's amazing new ruined farmhouse they have bought north of Beverley. It has incredible potential and will require hours and hours of work, but they are keen to do it. They are not moving in until next year, so I rang John on his mobile when I was outside, expecting him to be in York, but he was there with our mutual friend Edward [not that one, another one]. So I had a guided tour and a great and welcome cup of coffee.
From there I rode on to Hornsea on the coast, past Hornsea Mere which, somewhat improbably, is Yorkshire's largest lake. Then it was on an old railway line all the way to Hull, just in time to miss a train and have an hour to wait. I didn't mind though, it had been a great ride.

No comments: