Thursday, June 28, 2012

The Pit by the Sea

I was down in London for work the next day. Saw Paul Corrigan for our customary wine at a bar near Kings Cross - as always plenty to talk about and not enough time. Then I stayed with  friend Wendy in Hackney whose has seen her house value plummet [the riots] and soar [opening of a new overground station at Haggerston] all in the same year. The train trip to Essex was going very smoothly [against the commuter flow] until a suicide stopped all trains. I found myself in somewhere called Pitsea [very apt] which was, apparently, the bad side of Basildon [and that is saying something] - it looked unbelievably bleak with pylons, Canvey Island and non-stop traffic. Luckily my client came and picked me up and rescued me.
The photo is from a misty February day in the Wolds.

No comments: