Sunday, December 23, 2012

Lumen Show

At the Lumen show I decided to write short bits about each photograph I was showing; the aim was to give a background for when I was not there. The feedback on the idea ranged from "terrible idea" [the manager of the gallery] to "brilliant" with the majority tending to the latter. Anyway I will reproduce the photos on the blog with the text over the next few weeks.
First one is Sand, my all time top seller.

Taken on the beach at Aberdyfi in mid Wales. There are at least three levels of ambiguity that seem to intrigue.
Firstly, which is the sand and which is the water? The waves of sand at the top of the image can lead to the viewer assuming that that is the water.
Secondly, this is a colour image, unmanipulated. The grey sand can lead you to assume it is black and white.
Thirdly, what scale is it? Some have thought it an aerial shot. In fact I was stood in the sea looking straight down to the waters edge.
Half an hour after taking this shot, the sand was changed for ever as the tide came in.


No comments: