Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Heritage Ride 15

Another beautiful day. I cycle off from the overly attentive / needy B&B lady and head past the station to Sandside. The siding at Arnside station was used by the Queen in the Royal Train for an overnight stop en-route to the launch of a tanker from the shipyards at Barrow when I was at school there. We were all marched to the station to watch her emerge from her siding and head off to Barrow. It was hardly top secret, not likely to be replicated in today's climate.

I cycle on a backroad to Levens Bridge then take a new Sustrans route to Grange. It is a great pleasure to be on these routes, one of the good things to have happened in the last 20 years. Grange today is as full of older folk as ever, I head towards Cartmel. I pass the Quaker Meeting house. We went here with Pete and Sarah 18 years ago. We were welcomed with such gusto [“we never have visitors, and never young ones!”] that we feared we might be kidnapped.

No comments: