Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Sheffield

When I tell people that I drive Rowan to Sheffield every week for high jump training, they often look aghast; it is a long way. Truth is, we always have a nice time. I pick Rowan up from school at 4.30ish, she eats her tea, that I have brought with me, on the way down. We listen to a play or Brain of Britain or Sherlock Holmes. Then she trains while I either work on the laptop at the marvellous English Institute of Sport or go for a stroll round Sheffield.
Yesterday I decided to walk up to Meadowhall and the soon to be legendary Jenkins Road which is a fearsome hill at the end of Stage 2 of the Tour de France in July. It is a brute of a climb and I hope to be on it to watch the riders battle it out at the end of what will have been an attritional stage.

No comments: