Monday, August 04, 2014

Day 23

We had a family day in Pisa and Lucca, taking the train to the latter.
I have decided to fly home with Danielle and Rowan rather than get the bus back in 6 days time. That is the theory; the practise involves getting my bike "packed" to a degree that satisfies the airline. Back in the day it was a matter of turning up with the bike at check-in, deflating the tyres [entirely unnecessary in pressurised holds, but it made people feel better] and that was it. I have travelled to Italy, Norway, Spain, Portugal, Holland, India, Turkey in this way. Not any more, now it costs and now there are packaging requirements. So my task was to
a] find a bike box [cardboard box used by manufacturers to send bikes to bike shops]
b] persuade the owner to give it to me
c] get it back to the hotel
d] work out how to get my bike and rack and mudguards into it
e] persuade the airline that it was all OK

Not easy. First efforts yesterday found two shut bike shops, a quite-cross gym owner being asked "where are the bikes" before I realised I had duff information, and a wait-until-Monday [flight day] resignation.
Then Sunday in Lucca we were walking on the walls where many people leisure-cycle hire bikes round and round. One of the hire places seemed to be a real bike shop as well. I wander in and find the owner, who now has Parkinsons, shuffling in the back. He is a kind man who hears my request and, although he cannot respond with a box, he points me to a man who might be able to. The man is friendly and understands perfectly what I want but says, "I am sorry but we get rid of them straightaway, and we have no new bikes due for three days time. If you come then ..."
I am resigned and disappointed as I walk out the shop, then catch sight of an empty box tucked away in a corner. I rush back "I have found one!". "Oh yes, of course!" He is almost as pleased as I am. Hand shakes and smiles, and I carry the very large cardboard box out the shop.
Next task is to fold it down to size without ruining its rigidity. We manage, then Danielle and I walk with it between us; Rowan joins in by singing "Right Said Fred" which seems appropriate as we stumble around the town. We get it onto the train and back to our B&B.
Of course it could all go wrong tomorrow big time and I could be stuck here with a badly bagged bike and no family. Time will tell. Watch this space.
Family Selfy en route to Lucca

No comments: