Friday, August 14, 2015

Record Shops - Part 1

Record shops have just about disappeared for good now. When we moved to York there was one independent shop but this has long since closed. Got me thinking.

The record shop in Preston market square was where I remember going with Mother getting the latest Beatles singles when they came out in the 60s. It was a modern shop with listening booths that I later visited to hear weird and unknown sounds from the Progressive section of the racks and racks of albums that lined the shop.

When I was at boarding school at Rossall we spent hours hanging out in Cobweb records in Cleveleys which is where I got my education. The guys who ran it were great; after buying the Velvet Underground second album I took it back to school and hated it [a hate since overcome] so much that I took it back and swapped it for one by Roy Buchanan.

By the time I was in the 6th form the family had moved to Ulverston in Cumbria; here was a typical small town mom & pop record shop that also sold guitars. I saved until I could buy the Avon SG copy that stood proud in the window. Record wise they had a few imports [I got James Brown - Payback there, a sparse double album] and could get northern soul singles [George Bad Benson - Supership].

When I stayed at my Auntie Alison's in Oxford I could go to the brilliant shop in Little Clarendon Street - loads of imports and rare stuff. I think I got Ohio Players - Fire and Jefferson Starship - Dragonfly.

Visiting universities in my final year at school gave me a chance to check out record shops in those cities I visited. In Birmingham I found the Virgin Record shop, the hippest underground type of shop you could find then, up some dingy stairs and into a gloomy treasure chest [I came out with Carla Bley - Escalator Over The Hill].

The non related photo is of the cattle on the Moor with one canine impostor.

No comments: