Monday, August 17, 2015

Record Shops - Part 2

When I left school and went to live in Leeds for a year I got into Dub Reggae, so naturally went to the local Reggae Record Store to buy Big Youth and Tapper Zukkie singles. Quite an experience, very friendly but totally daunting at the same time for a 17 year old.
By the time I got to Liverpool punk was on the verge of happening, so I was glad to discover Probe records in Matthew Street; it had all that you wanted - the latest Slaughter and the Dogs single as well as white label Skip James blues albums. Penny Lane Records was pretty good as well.
By the time I moved to London in 1980 I found Honest Jons in Camden town as well as the more famous shops. But records were becoming less and less important, the start of the slope that led to the virtual end of the record shop.
Todays unrelated photo is of Rowan from the Groupon shoot.

No comments: