Saturday, March 16, 2019

Teeth

I was diligently flossing my teeth, even though it was late and I was tired. My reward? A filling about the size of Wales comes flying out of my mouth and disappears straight down the plughole, leaving me with a cavity like a small quarry on the upper east side of my mouth. On the upside, it didn't hurt.

I got an emergency dentist appointment for the next day, and she was cracking on with the anaesthetic almost before I got through the door. Just at the peak of the drilling-experience Hurt by Johnny Cash came on the radio loud and clear:

I hurt myself today
To see if I still feel
I focus on the pain
The only thing that's real
The needle tears a hole
The old familiar sting
Try to kill it all away
But I remember everything
Ok, he wasn't singing about going to the dentist but the lyrics spoke to me. It actually took my mind off the discomfort, I nearly started laughing, which would have been unfortunate as I had a drill and a vacuum cleaner in my mouth at the time.
Feels good now though.

No comments: