Tuesday, March 01, 2022

Podcasts

Podcasts are pretty important in this household. We were all always big radio fans (as opposed to TV) so it made sense that podcasts and audiobooks took their place alongside catchup radio. For me live radio is now limited to listening to the football.

I have found that podcasts have to really merit their continued popularity with me, or else I simply don't bother to listen to them, even if they are downloaded and appear right up my street. If there is not a deep-down incentive to click on then they drift away.

Football Weekly on the Guardian which I started listening to in 2006 kept me up on board until Covid when I switched over to Totally Football. So now I listen to one of the other twice a week. 16 years is a long time in podcast land. The other that I started about the same time was American NPR (national public radio) All Songs Considered which was a weekly about new music. I eventually tired of it.

So here are the ones I listen to right now;

1 Totally Football. 

2 Cocaine & Rhinestones. An absolute work of art from Tyler Mahan Coe about 20th Century country music. Season two has just finished. Impossible to describe, but brilliant even if you know little about the subject.

3 The History of Rock in 500 Songs. Just as impressive this is a great undertaking by Mancunian Andrew Hickey, providing the first (in my opinion) comprehensive description of how R&B turned into Rock&Roll. Each episode (he is up to 150 or so by now) is an impressive piece of work of research in itself.

4 The Cycling Podcast, when the season gets going. Not brilliant but a good companion through the Grand Tours in particular.

5 A Good Read, a BBC book podcast with a great format that I continue to find a good way to spend 25 minutes and learn about 3 books recommended by a wide range of guests, with a great lack of pomposity and earnestness.

Lots of others come and go, In Our Time, The Rest is History, More or Less etc, but that is the top 5 at the moment.

There is an attempt to re-create a pre-historic trackway on Hatfield Moors using the technologies in use then.


No comments: