Wednesday, July 12, 2023

Ridgeway Trip 1

45 years ago I walked and wild camped with my girlfriend Sue along the Ridgeway from Streetly, on the Thames between Oxford and Reading, to Avebury and then on other ridge routes across Salisbury Plain through Dorset to Hod Hill near Blandford Forum. It was a great trip (albeit we did not really know what we were doing) and I had always wanted to complete the ancient route to Axmouth on the coast where the chalk gives way to the red Devon sandstone. The fact that this route has been in existance for several thousand years is amazing enough, the fact that it can still be traced and experienced together with very many amazing sites (Avebury, Stonehenge etc) is also amazing. 

So with a free week I packed the bike, booked accommodation and took the train to Exeter from where I cycled to the sea at Exmouth, then along the coast to Seaton. It was a route that the French would describe as "tres accidentée" meaning very hilly. I was all set to start the route the next day.

Looking east from Sidmouth. In the foreground the sandstone cliffs, in the distance the white chalk cliffs of Dorset.


No comments: