Sunday, July 30, 2023

Waterton Wall

One of the good things about exhibiting, and meeting the public, is that people see what I am interested in (from my work) and then say "have you seen ... so and so." Often I have not, and this can lead to new adventures.
At Shipley a woman told me about the Waterton Wall, built my Charles Waterton in 1820s. It was nine foot high circled his estate, turning it into the world's first wildfowl and nature reserve, making him one of the world's first environmentalists.
When I got to the place last week I met someone there who had met David Attenborough when he was visiting the work of one of the people who had inspired him to take a life in conservation. 
Plans to reconstruct the wall are struggling to take shape, and the golf course within the walls is a bit of an aberration. But, it was an uplifting place to visit.
 

No comments: