Saturday, December 16, 2023

The Pergola

Thursday I took a train to London and walked on a whim from Kings Cross. Regents Park first then up Primrose Hill, the view from which is one of the best in London. I then worked my way across to Belsize Park and up to Hampstead. I have not been there for a long time, it is a great part of London. I followed paths across the heath to come to Golders Hill Park. 30 years ago I came to the park with a friend and found a way into what appeared to be an abandoned building of some sort. No one else was there and it felt like a secret place that I was not sure actually existed beyond my imagination. So I was delighted and shocked to not only find it, but to discover that it had been renovated, reopened to the public and generally saved from decay since my illicit visit in the early 90s. Luckily it was such a drizzly day that there only one other person in the whole area - I'm not fully sure that they were not a ghost. So a mystery is solved.




No comments: