Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Lent

Two years ago I gave up chocolate for Lent, which was fine until we visited Turin just before Easter. Turin goes chocolate egg crazy at Eastertime - it is their big thing - every shop has a huge display of lovely dark chocolate. It wasn't easy... but I managed it. This year I am giving up biscuits and chocolate ... we'll see.

I do ask people why is Lent the length it is, and have never really got a good reply. Is it something to do with 40 days and 40 nights? Anyway it seems a good idea to give something up, so the challenge starts here.

We had pancakes yesterday, Rowan feeling a little poorly couldn't finish hers [that is a first]

1 comment:

Sarah said...

40 is a symbolic number, popular among biblical writers (eg the flood). the main link with lent is the 40 day temptation in the wilderness. but Lent is actually 46 days- you can have sundays off!

(and no, i wasn't asked about lent in my exams!)