Sunday, May 06, 2012

The Hills of Denmark

The Giro [Tour of Italy cycle race] started in Denmark this year [don't ask]. The route went through Lemvig where my friend Karin and family live. I remember cycling there in the 80s and being shocked to find a hill at the end of my journey up to their house. A hill in Denmark? That can't be right, right? So I was glad to see that the hill in question was classified in the King of the Mountains classification for the Giro.
The other memory of cycling in Denmark was the wind. 120k of headwind from Ejsberg to Lemvig, thinking all along "it will be great to cycle back with the tailwind." I stayed three days in Lemvig, during which time the wind changed direction by 180 degrees  to give me another 120k of headwind on the way back. 30 years ago and I have not forgotten it.
The photo is of Rowan in action in a Duathlon she ran/cycled in Bradford yesterday.

No comments: