Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Boro

I got a ride in last week. Heading up through York to Sheriff Hutton [medieval castle] and some short steep hills to Kirkdale Minster [tiny church in the moors] then up to the high North York Moors via the horribly steep Blakey Bank where this lonely cross greets you. I love it up here, lonely, evocative and a great descent to Castelton where I get lunch in a perfect little cafe. Then over some more of the moors before a descent into a contrast. Gone are the pretty little North Yorkshire villages to be replaced by north east pit villages all looking a bit bedraggled and short of inspiration. I pick up an old railway line Sustrans route that takes me through really interesting country to the edge of Middlesborough. I cycle into the town centre [first time I have been there amazingly enough] and am quite glad to get the train back home. Only 105k but a great ride nonetheless.

No comments: