Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Trains


I was getting the 8.55 train to London today. You never quite know what you are going to get at this time of day. Is it going to be packed with early-grannies and chaotic families? Or is it, as today, going to be marvellously empty and run non-stop to London? I grab a table and get set-up for some work. Very pleasant.
At York I look onto the platform and see an old lady waving goodbye to a loved one on the train. Reminds me of leaving Bicester station 29 years ago heading off on The Walk. Mother and Granny waving from the platform as we headed off into the unknown. In my memory I even see them running a bit alongside the train as it moved off. When I returned 7 months later my Granny was in her last few days of life, in a hospice bed.
Wanlockhead

No comments: