Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Day 10

There was something about the Hotel that made me think of staying a second night. It is 40 or so years old, but is a large concrete out of town place that has the feel of a Communist state hotel of the sort that littered Tito's Jugolsavia. Slightly falling to bits, too big, all just a touch surreal; I liked it. The broken WiFi is very annoying but quite fitting for the place, meaning that I can get on with having a relaxing day off. Oh I forgot to mention the rain. I awoke this morning to the mother of all thunderstorms and it has rained heavy right through to noon with no break in the heavy thick clouds that cloak the Tuscan hills. All this is fine by me. I can catch up on my writing, read the bookgroup book, The Woman Upstairs by Claire Massud, plot my route etc.

In the afternoon the weather clears so I set off on a short ride without panniers etc. I see a Hoopoe, always good for the spirits. I follow a valley thickly cloaked in wood [where Pinochio appears to have been born] with many timber mills still working and thriving by the look of it - how does Italy manage this, to keep manufacturing going small scale? In the UK the pattern seems to be, small concerns are taken over or shut, then the one remaining company gets taken over internationally, assett stripped and shut down. I keep following the road which gets smaller, quieter and higher until I arrive at the col at 840 metres. Quite a climb and really enjoyable. I retrace my footsteps really pleased with the ride - and it stayed dry.

No comments: