Tuesday, July 01, 2014

Hatfield Moor

Last week on the Humberhead Peatlands at Thorne Moor I met a local who said that the Hatfield Moors [which I had not seen] had been "ruined - made soft". I thought I had better have a look. First impressions were not good - a real car park, about 8 cars, people around, being told off for having the dog off the lead by a "warden". I was pining for Thorne already. However I walked on and soon came to 100 acre lake, and I had left everyone behind, I saw no one for the next four hours. The peatbogs here are, if anything, even more weird than at Thorne. It was a hot still day and it felt a very alien place.
I was listening to a dramatisation of Philip K Dick's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep as my suitably dystopian soundtrack. Ahead of me at 100 metres or so, I saw six men in black trousers, white shirts and shades. It felt a bit odd, I put Milo on the lead, I looked up. They were gone. As last week, I was once more wondering if reality was slipping a bit. I got to where they had been and saw a track through the weeds to the High Security Prison that lined that edge of the moor. Explained, they must have been prison officers on their break. Maybe.


No comments: