Thursday, July 17, 2014

Day 4


A beautiful daybreak. Great great breakfast, then off through an Alpine meadow and on the main road to Barcellonette with stunning views of crystal clear mountains. At Jeusieux we have a coffee then turn right and begin the Col de la Bonette, the highest road in Europe. Dave takes one of my panniers - there I said it. Which was good of him and helped me. I enjoy the ride up with lots of cyclists, tourists, sign posts with gradients all the way and interesting buildings, alps etc. Drop down past a Napoleon III deserted village then into St Etienne le Tinnee which I walked through on the GR5 with in 1982! Then a nasty climb up to Auron which I also visited in 82. The hotel is a ski resort one called Eidlewiess, with friendly staff, another good meal - soup, fondue like dish for me - a Newfoundland dog in the bar. Great stuff.

No comments: