Friday, November 12, 2004

Badminton

Just had a good game of Badminton with my friend Edward today. I first started playing when I was 30 in Tottenham. What I really like about it is that you can have a really good workout even if your standard of play is not that high. Contrast that with tennis where a decent rally is rare, where the temptation to whack the ball to the boating lake is real, and where the difference between a park player and a club player is huge – I remember going a whole set before either I or my opponent could manage to hold serve – not like Wimbledon. Anyway when I was in London I formed an informal badminton group that played weekly with ever changing membership for ten years, it was a great group and I believe it is still carrying on. In York I have played with a few groups, at the moment I enjoy singles best [more room for inelegant 6 footers to charge around] and play at the Railway Institute courts which are in a disused rail shed next to the station.


No comments: