Saturday, November 13, 2004

Keys

Our lives may be complex and multi-faceted but they are also very fragile. Take today. 11.00 am I drop Rowan at a health club for her friend’s birthday party. I now have two hours to go for a spin on the Brompton folding bike http://www.bromptonbicycle.co.uk/ . After a few miles I stop for a coffee and a baguette for lunch. A nice steaming hot cup of coffee is put on my tray [decaf…but that’s another story] and as I pay my heart sinks as I realise my keys and I have parted company. Suddenly a whole range of frets emerge
Ø will I need to get the locks at home changed
Ø when can I get a new key for the car cut
Ø how am I going to get Rowan home
Ø how am I going to get into the house
Ø how will I replace the 30 year old Guinness penknife my father gave me
Ø etc etc
So I take the George Bush approach [a la Fahrenheit 911] and sit and have my coffee first. I then cycle back to the Health Club, all the while looking across at the road going the other way in case I see the shining metal of the Holy Grail in the gutter. I am resigned to a day of panic and hassle when I see that the car is at least still there in the car-park. Which is all the more surprising when I see the keys dangling from the driver’s door. One hour of luck. Back to normal

No comments: