Saturday, November 20, 2004

Portable Office

Working from home and at various clients’ bases means that the internet and the laptop are pretty essential for my work. It is hard to imagine being able to function competitively prior to the internet. For example I can download all the background papers from the Department of Health [part of the UK government] on a particular issue, in a matter of minutes. Pre-internet I would have had to either purchase them from the Department [costing £20 a shot, and taking days], blag them off contacts in departments [time-consuming and not something you can do more than every so often] or go to a library [unlikely to deliver]. Couple the internet with cycling and I can become a pretty portable business. I was at Kings X this week and was glad to see that I am not alone. The bike is a Brompton, http://www.bromptonbicycle.co.uk/ and the laptop is perched on the steps down to the gents – not my idea of an ideal location, but he seemed pretty happy

No comments: