Monday, October 25, 2010

Sheffield again


Rowan had an extra session at Sheffield for her netball – a tri-regional tournament with an England player in attendance. It is not easy for her, she is one of the youngest and finds it socially a challenge, but she is made of strong stuff and is determined.

I took a walk into Sheffield on a perfect clear-sky autumn day. It reminded me of the days when I moved to Leeds after I left school, only then I was walking either to find a job, or to work. 35 years ago.

The River Don now has a footpath all the way along it into the City Centre; the result of just the kind of social investment which will now be con-demed to cuts by the coalition government. The river passes forges and weirs and busy factories. I saw several Kingfishers and Grey Wagtails on my way.

The photo is of two people kayaking on the Don within a couple of miles of the city centre.

No comments: