Sunday, November 06, 2005

Hebden Cord"

Photo. Spot the Rowan.

I saw an ad in Cycle Touring magazine, saying that Hebden Cord were having a closing down sale. This firm make the best and longest lasting cycling trousers and shorts you can imagine. They cost, but they are worth it. So I looked up on their website to see what bargains I could get... except they don't have a website. Pahh I thought, no wonder they are going out of business. Anyway, I decided to ring and order a pair. An old lady answered the phone,
me "Do you have any 35" waist shorts?"
her "Oh, I'll run you up a pair"
me [imagining a mill in Hebden Bridge about to put countless workers onto the dole] "Thanks. Why are you closing down?"
her "I'm retiring!"
It then dawned on me that this was not even a "mom and pop" operation. It was just grandma. A real shame that she is giving it up, and the passing of a unique product.

No comments: