Thursday, November 17, 2005

Leeds Liverpool Canal



The weather today was perfect. Crisp and cloudless, a beautiful clear light. Rowan was playing at her friend Douglas' after school, so I took the chance to get a bike ride in. I took the train to Burnley then cycled along the Leeds and Liverpool Canal http://www.canaljunction.com/cleedsl.htm to Skipton. It was fantastic, beautiful and a privilege to be there. The canal is like a giant sculpture draped across the north of England, the bridges and tunnels are beautifully in tune with the surrounding countryside.

Last time I cycled here was 27 years ago when I set off from Liverpool with my girlfriend's fathers bike [ancient and unmaintained] and a sleeping bag. I had no tool kit [so I had to find a garage in Parbold to fix the chain] no tent [so I slept in a field above Blackburn] no map [I know...] and no puncture repair kit [so I had to ring girlfriend's mother when I was past Skipton]. The towpath then was far less inviting to cyclists [I had to scale a seven foot fence in Burnley], but despite all that I had a great ride, which inspired me to further travelling.

No comments: